TOP TEN LIST for a good book this summer, after Tattoo–Journeys on My Mind of course. After all, that is is my purpose here—asking you to try it. But I highly recommend these TEN books as well. If they don’t travel far in this world, they are traveling somewhere. They are an eclectic mix and in no particular order.
- Roughing It by Mark Twain
- Our Hearts were Young and Gay by Cornelia Otis Skinner & Emily Kimbrough
- Iron and Silk by Mark Salzman
- Without Reservations by Alice Steinbach
- The Death of Vishnu by Manil Suri
- Gunshot Road by Adrian Hyland
- The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder
- Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne
- Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck
- Letters of a Woman Homesteader by Elinore Pruitt Stewart
I find myself at the beach or on a boulder at the halfway point on a hike when I pull over to enjoy a book. I love that uninterrupted reading and that need to proceed because I only carry one book at a time. I came across all these books in this way and so I think of them as summer reading. If you persist to page 100 in any of them, I believe you will come to be glad you read the book.